Did you know that Google advertises local small businesses for free? More than anything else, Google wants to give searchers the answers they are looking for. And one of the ways they do that is Google Local Listings.
When someone in your area goes to Google and types in a search, Google tries to show results that are local – and they include a map. Google knows if someone types in “animal hospital” – they don’t want an animal hospital in New York City. They want one near their house.
Those are FREE ads, by the way. And all those business owners could claim their ad and make it even better! (Town ‘N’ Country has already done so, and is already seeing results!)
Here’s how. (By the way – it’s best to do this at work. You’ll see why in a bit.)
Before you start, go to Google.com, and type in what people search for when they look for your business, then the location of your business. Animal hospital, Burlington, NC. Real estate agent, Chapel Hill, NC. Metal works, Graham, NC. Auto inspections, Siler City, NC. Wholesale flowers, Athens, GA. House painter, Durham, NC. When the results come up, see if you see a map of “Local business results”. If not, try another search term until you do see it. See if your business is listed. If you don’t, click on ‘more results’ until you do. (If you still don’t – well – we’ll blog about that soon.)
1. Look right beside or under your business phone number, and click on one of the links that says “reviews” or “more”. That will take you to the map page that highlights your business.
2. On the far right of the light blue bar at the top of the page, it says, “Business owner?” Click on this link, and you’ll be asked to log in to your Google account.
3. If you don’t have a gmail account, sign up for one. You don’t have to ever use it again, except when you log in to change your Google listing. But you do want to write it down! (Having trouble remembering passwords? Try Roboform. We love it – I couldn’t do without it.)
4. After you log in, you’ll be taken to a page with three options. Choose the first – “Edit your business listing” and click ‘continue’.
5. Fill in all the information.
6. Add as many pictures as you can – your logo, storefront, pictures of your products, and your smiling face. Note that pictures need to be shaped roughly like a flat screen television. Google hasn’t revealed the exact measurements, so it may take several attempts.
7. Click submit.
8. At this point, you have to validate that you are the business owner. Google will give you the choice to have your validation code mailed to you or telephoned to you. If you’re at work, it will be instant. You click submit, your phone rings, you write down the code, enter it, and voila! You have a business listing.
Now – we’ll give you your Google listing makeover – at no charge – when you schedule your free consultation with Dash Web Consulting. Give us a call today. Let us help your business tap into the power of the internet. Hey – it’s free!